[colug-432] DD-WRT

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Mon Oct 24 08:25:34 EDT 2011

On Monday, October 24, 2011 01:33:57 AM Michael Yanovich wrote:
> I really don't believe that option in the DD-WRT menu for the power of
> the antennae actually does anything. I've put it at 250mW for various
> wireless routers of mine and they have been working fine for years.

There are hardware limits to how powerful you can make the signal, which
might be the reason for not seeing a change.

More importantly, doubling the power only adds 3 dB to the signal strength,
which is why increasing the mW doesn't always change things as much as
people might expect.

Getting a better antenna, especially if you can go directional, has the
potential to get you a lot more signal strength than raising the transmit
power does. (Though you do have to watch out for antenna-cable losses.)