[colug-432] Home Networking Equipment

Matt Simmons standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 11:09:02 EDT 2012

If I were in the market for a relatively affordable AP, I'd probably buy
this one:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366202

I've got an earlier TP-Link, and I'm very happy with it, because it can run
dd-wrt, and also because the range and signal strength is very good on
mine.

--Matt

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Greg Sidelinger <gate at ilive4code.net>wrote:

> I'm looking to replace my old Linksys WRT54G to upgrade to N.  Does anyone
> have any recommendations for good hardware that will not break the bank.
>  I've been pretty happy with my three different WRT54Gs all running dd-wrt
> so I would like something that I can put an open source firmware on since
> most of the stock ones "suck".  Granted if the stock firmware worked I
> would leave it as I'm more about functionality than customizing everything.
>
> Things I would like to have supported.
> N Speeds
> Dual radio
> SNMP
> Wireless VLAN support, at least two but more would rock
> VLAN support if it has a built in switch
> Hardware that will last me 5+ years
>
> Also does anyone know of any low cost switches that support VLANs?  I
> would really like to pair a VLAN supported switch a new wireless router.
>  I've done a little looking around but never seen anything for the home.
>
> Greg

LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.