[colug-432] Home Networking Equipment

Greg Sidelinger gate at ilive4code.net
Sun Apr 15 10:49:40 EDT 2012

I'm looking to replace my old Linksys WRT54G to upgrade to N.  Does anyone
have any recommendations for good hardware that will not break the bank.
 I've been pretty happy with my three different WRT54Gs all running dd-wrt
so I would like something that I can put an open source firmware on since
most of the stock ones "suck".  Granted if the stock firmware worked I
would leave it as I'm more about functionality than customizing everything.

Things I would like to have supported.
N Speeds
Dual radio
SNMP
Wireless VLAN support, at least two but more would rock
VLAN support if it has a built in switch
Hardware that will last me 5+ years

Also does anyone know of any low cost switches that support VLANs?  I would
really like to pair a VLAN supported switch a new wireless router.  I've
done a little looking around but never seen anything for the home.

Greg