[colug-432] Reading Linux Books

Thomas W. cranston thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 22:44:59 EDT 2012

On 04/30/2012 09:16 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Hello Colugers,
>
> For those of you who read technical books about Linux, I pose a
> question. Suppose you are reading a book on subject matter, and that
> book also includes a project that illustrates the subject matter. What
> format would you prefer?
>
> a) 3-4 chapters, where the first half of each chapter explains the
> theory behind one aspect of the project, and the second half of the
> chapter explains how to recreate what I did.
>
> b) 3-4 chapters, each chapter covering the theory behind one aspect of
> the project, and a final chapter saying, "here's how I built this."
>
> Each component of the project can be done in and of itself, and
> applied to other projects.
>
> Thanks!
> -Josh

I think a)

For example I like The Linux® Command Line by William E. Shotts, Jr.
Shotts interleaves theory w/practice. Trying a concept out soon after
hearing the theory helps reinforce the concept.

http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Released under a Creative Commons license, this book is available for
free download in PDF format. Download it at the above link, or it can be
purchased in book form.

It would be a good idea to mention the OS and it's version that you did
the stuff with. Nothing more confusing (especially for newbies) than to
follow an example and it does not work on the readers Linux distro.

Tom