[colug-432] I/O Error?

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Thu Dec 6 10:43:55 EST 2012

On Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:30:45 AM FiL Farris wrote:
> Is this a problem with the iso or the hard disk?  I am asking the
> veterans here (as I am interested in learning) as I would have looked at
> it different then what's been answered.

If it were a problem with the .iso file, the error from md5sum would've
said something about "failed checksum". I/O errors indicate a problem
getting data into the program in the first place (or writing it out, which
doesn't apply here). Once it's in the program, the error message gets more
specific.

I'd venture to say that these days a disk problem may be more likely than a
corrupted download, since network protocols have lots of error-correction
built in. Meanwhile, disks are often the first piece of a computer to go
bad. Or second, after fans. (Power supply itself would be third.)