[colug-432] RAM

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Mon Dec 10 17:02:42 EST 2012

On Monday, December 10, 2012 03:48:54 PM Thomas W. cranston wrote:
> How can I verify how much RAM my laptop can use? The Dell.com laptop
> forum indicates I can use a total of 8GB RAM (2 x 4 GB)
>
> Dell spec sheets site 4 GB max. I am assuming they assumed the laptop
> would be running XP or Vista.
>
> Crucial also sites the Dell specs.

There was a generation of machines that were 64-bit-capable, but came with
XP (or Vista), had two memory slots, and at the time 4GB memory modules
either didn't exist or were outrageously expensive. So they were spec'd as
"max 4GB".

Then memory got cheaper, and it turned out that these machines often could
handle two 4GB memory modules (possibly with a firmware upgrade).

The Crucial.com page for my Thinkpad X61s still says Max 4GB, but I've been
running with 8GB for quite a while now. I wouldn't be surprised if the
situation is similar for your Dell. Just make sure your firmware is up to
date.

Just be aware that it's possible that the specs may actually be correct.
Maybe get one 4GB module at a time.