[colug-432] What causes electronics to expire?: 無

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Tue Dec 18 13:18:17 EST 2012

To which on Thu Dec 13 12:53:23 EST 2012, Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net> replied:

> The transistors themselves don't tend to break down over time like that
> (they're essentially made of rock!), but they are usually sensitive to
> voltage surges, such as from discharging static electricity.

To reinforce that, read the comment about semiconductors in general in
the tunnel diode article[1]. It's fantastic that Esaki[2] is still
around to test old devices.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esaki_diode#Longevity
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Esaki