[colug-432] Boot

Thomas W. cranston thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:11:18 EST 2012

Tried to install Mint from the external DVD.

New HDD installed in laptop.

Boot from USB is first in setup.

Did one time boot (F12) to boot from USB external DVD

Message can't boot from HDD No boot sector

Message can't boot from external USB DVD - bad cable.

Don't think cable is bad. Pulled new HDD and inserted old HDD. I can see
Mint in the external drive. Can play CD from external drive.

The Mint installation does start from the laptops internal drive. I know
it's flaky, so did not continue.

Other distros installation disks wont start from the external drive
either, ones I have installed from in that drive before.

What's different?

The other drives I have installed on before already had something on
them. The new one has nothing on it.

Tom