[colug-432] Change Root Password

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Dec 19 12:28:48 EST 2012

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:15:41 AM Rick Hornsby wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2012, at 10:52, Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net> wrote:
> > sudo -s
>
> If you do this, maybe modify your own path first to include /sbin and
> /usr/sbin. No distro I've worked in has ever included the sbin
> directories in the user path by default.

True.

> I sometimes add them out of principle anyways. There are a few things in
> there that a non priv user might run (ping? or did that get moved to
> /bin?)

On my Ubuntu machine ping is in /bin (and is setuid root). But traceroute
is in /usr/sbin. The one that always trips me up is ifconfig, and less
often route and iwconfig, all of which give useful information to non-root
users but are in /sbin. (Also the more modern equivalent of ifconfig and
route, "ip", is in /sbin.) So I always add /sbin and /usr/sbin to my PATH
right off the bat.