[colug-432] Change Root Password

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 17:30:34 EST 2012

On Dec 19, 2012, at 16:49, Thomas Cranston <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, that worked.
>
> Thanks

Excellent!

> So much for Mint tutorial:
>
>  http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/851
>
> The easiest method of resetting a user’s account password in Linux is to use the passwd command. To do it on Linux Mint or any Linux distribution that uses sudo, start a shell terminal and type the following command:
>
> sudo passwd
> You will, of course, be prompted to authenticate with your current password before you are given the opportunity of changing it. On a distribution that does not use sudo, call the passwd command without sudo.
>
> Thanks for the help.

No problem, glad to do so. We've all been there at one time. More seasoned guys like myself,  Rob, and others helping the less experienced benefits not just you or COLUG, but the Linux community as a whole as well.

I myself am and my Linux knowledge is in no small part, the product of wisdom from patient volunteers, many of whom I've never met in person - including the random guy on IRC who worked at Walnut Creek. In 1995, sensing my interest in Linux, he generously (snail!) mailed me a Slackware CD set to play with free of charge.  The rest, as they say, is history.  Today, I'm a full time Linux production admin/architect for a very large healthcare IT company.

Sucks that in this case a bad doc made it harder than it needed to be.  Probably wouldn't hurt to send them a quick note - or if it is a wiki, correct it yourself! :)

-rick