[colug-432] Phone Line Connections

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Wed Feb 8 19:54:10 EST 2012

I should clarify my earlier point about the black and yellow being deprecated.

Back in the olden days, some telephone sets had built in lamps, which
required separate low voltage power. The old Western Electric Princess
set comes to mind here. The black / yellow we see today is a holdover
from the early days of American telephone wiring wherein that pair
carried low voltage supply for sets requiring additional juice.  But
that started disappearing in the 60s/70s and wiring was just green/red
going forward.

Nowadays, you see the  black/yellow commonly used for a second line,
filtered dsl, and so on.

If you're seeing stripes and solids but not seeing red yellow green
black, then you could be seeing the inside of a cat5 or cat6 cable
that has 4 pairs.  In that bundle, blue / blue-white is the phone
pair.  Followed by green/green-white, orange/orange-white, and
brown/brown-white. In a cat5 bundle, green and orange pairs are used
for 100BaseT. All 4 pairs are used for gig.

I personally have routed the second pair with 12vdc to power the
cordless phone base that's wall mounted in my kitchen to avoid the
ugly wall wart being visible. The wall wart is patched in to just that
cable run in my basement.

This wiki article has lots more on wiring standards below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack

--
Angelo