[colug-432] Phone Line Connections

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Feb 8 18:24:15 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 08, 2012 06:09:31 PM jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:40:59 -0500, Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net> wrote:
> >  (My second line inside the house ended up being very useful for
> > DSL.)
>
> Does DSL like a straight line with the DSL modem at the end
> and does not like a branching topology?

That's my understanding of the ideal.

> Is one clean way of
> supporting DSL and multiple telephones to have the
> DSL/phone splitter filters where the phone service comes into
> the house, then connect the filtered phone service to the
> all the red/green pairs of the various phone jacks in parallel,
> and to connect the filtered DSL service to the black/yellow
> pair of _only_ the phone jack that will have the DSL modem on it?

Yes, that's exactly our setup.

> Is DSL sensitive to this kind of stuff when one is far from the
> DSL company's modem?

I'm not quite sure how far we are, but we are out in the country (though right
next to I-70 and about a mile from Kirkersville). After we switched to this
setup (from depending on every phone having a DSL filter), the DSL became a
lot more reliable.