[colug-432] Supported Video CentOS 6

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Tue Feb 14 23:46:20 EST 2012

Hi Uncle Tom,

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:59:35 -0600, Thomas Cranston <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:

> Where can I find a List of supported video cards for CentOS?

Maybe redhat.com. Same goes for most documentation about Centos.

> My Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE] video card is barely supported in
> Centos. No driver at ELRepo. Displays 800 X 600 with the opensource
> driver for ATI graphics cards.

Looking up info about that board, you're probably in an awkward
position. That board is probably about 10 years old. Back then,
most of the video board makers did not play nice with Linux.

ATI was bought by AMD in 2006. AMD later decided to play nice
with Linux and has been getting better and better about working
with Linux; but that's only for newer cards. For a ten year old
card, nobody is working on it.

So most of the old video cards are problematic.
Amongst old video cards, Matrox had the best Linux support,
but I think that was in the mid '90s. Then Matrox got a
proprietary attitude and newer Matrox boards did not have
good Linux support. I forget which were supported well.

> I can go AGP or PCI.

Which kind of AGP?

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

What do you want to the computer with Centos for?
Main desktop or server?

Jim