[colug-432] Fwd: Whoops

Steve Roggenkamp roggenkamps at acm.org
Fri Feb 17 21:16:52 EST 2012

Hi Ed,

I'm going to assume you do not have a router that you control between
your laptop and your ISP.

On Ubuntu and other Debian variants, the network interface is
controlled by a file,

/etc/network/interfaces

See the  man(5) page, interfaces, for details about configuring this file.

If you have a static IP address assigned by your ISP, you should have
an entry in your interfaces file that look something like this:

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.33
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    dns-nameservers 192.168.1.100

I copied this from one of my machines.  I have a Linksys router and my
machines are all on an internal network, thus the 192.168.1.x address
space.  I also run DNS server inside my network so the nameserver has
a local address.  The 192.168.1.33 is this system's IP address.
You'll also need the gateway, netmask, broadcast and dns-nameservers
values.

If your ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses, the /etc/network/interfaces
file should look something like that below.

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

And that's about it.

You'll need to do:

$ ifdown eth0
$ ifup eth0

to get the new address assigned and working.

Let me know how it works.

Steve