[colug-432] Fwd: Whoops

Edward Dunagin edunagin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:55:27 EST 2012

Hi Steve,

I tried your suggestion, and no go..Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Here is my interface file:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#allow-hotplug eth0
 #iface eth0 inet static
  #  address 192.168.0.11
   #  netmask 255.255.255.0
    # gateway 192.168.1.1
     #broadcast 192.168.1.255
    # dns-nameservers 192.168.1.100

As you can see I tried these numbers, and no go. I was able to load
the rtl8189 which gave me my wired INTERNETconnection.

On 2/17/12, Steve Roggenkamp <roggenkamps at acm.org> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> I'm going to assume you do not have a router that you control between
> your laptop and your ISP.

This setup by the ISP was a Cisco modem and a router combined with the modem.
> On Ubuntu and other Debian variants, the network interface is
> controlled by a file,
>
> /etc/network/interfaces
>
> See the  man(5) page, interfaces, for details about configuring this file.
>
> If you have a static IP address assigned by your ISP, you should have
> an entry in your interfaces file that look something like this:
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>     address 192.168.1.33
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway 192.168.1.1
>     broadcast 192.168.1.255
>     dns-nameservers 192.168.1.100
>

> I copied this from one of my machines.  I have a Linksys router and my
> machines are all on an internal network, thus the 192.168.1.x address
> space.  I also run DNS server inside my network so the nameserver has
> a local address.  The 192.168.1.33 is this system's IP address.
> You'll also need the gateway, netmask, broadcast and dns-nameservers
> values.
>
> If your ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses, the /etc/network/interfaces
> file should look something like that below.
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

You can see that mine is differend.

> And that's about it.
>
> You'll need to do:
>
> $ ifdown eth0
> $ ifup eth0
> to get the new address assigned and working.

Here are the errors I get when I run these two commands:
root at HighNet-Last:/etc/network# ifdown eth0
Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
root at HighNet-Last:/etc/network#  ifup eth0

Edward Dunagin-Dunigan
mobile 406-570-0992
http://www.wifimobile.org
http://doas.montanalinux.org