[colug-432] February COLUG Meeting Announcement

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Feb 20 10:35:02 EST 2012

Having encountered widely varying opinions about source build, what do
YOU say about it?  Why do we use FOSS?  If we *use* FOSS, does that
mean (to you) that we should actually *build* from source?  Why and
when should we and should we not [re]build from sources?

I'm priming the pump for this pres.  Will be showing my own how-to,
which to me seems like do-it-in-your-sleep easy.  But part of the talk
will include the rationale for going this route.  Lemme know what
questions or points come to mind.

Thanks.

-- R; <><

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
> MEETING NOTICE
> ==============
> Central Ohio Linux Users Group
> Date: Saturday, February 25 2012 from 1 PM to 3 PM local
>
> Meeting Presentation
> ==============
> Our own Rick Troth will present "Use the Source". We all advocate
> FOSS, but how often do we actually *use* source code?
>
> Compiling from sources can be a lot of work.  But a few tools and
> methods make it easier.  There is a range of possibilities, from
> building just one or two apps to building a complete self hosting
> system.  It's easy.  It's fun.  Come see how.
>
> Working on a cool new project? Stuck on a specific problem? Share with
> the group! As always, feel free to bring with you any ailing or
> problematic systems for expert diagnosis (or destruction).
>
> The upcoming meeting is open to the general public, and all with an
> interest in Free Software, Open Source, Linux, BSD, Unix, Windows, are
> invited. There are no dues or fees.
>
> MEETING SITE
> The February 2012 meeting will be held in the Board Room at:
>   techcolumbus
>   1275 Kinnear Rd.
>   Columbus, OH
>   43212