[colug-432] Supported Video CentOS 6 #2

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 19:42:56 EST 2012

On Feb 21, 2012, at 15:01 , Thomas Cranston wrote:

> On 2/21/12, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is intentional, and doesn't mean anything is wrong.
>
>> The installer is running a low resolution mode for maximum compatibility w/ the most hardware to avoid crashing the system during the install and b/c high res isn't needed.
>>
> The Installer is not running.

Sorry.  When you said "I did the install" and "why does the install only run..." it appeared that you meant during the install process, not after it had completed successfully.

Unfortunately, it has been a long time since I dove into the guts of X.  It was one of the things that I finally got fed up with in Fedora, bleeding edge that it was/is - and honestly Linux on the desktop in general.  I was tired of fighting with the computer to fix a minor issue in X, only to have all of X break for no obvious reason.

I can't fully explain why it worked running the LiveCD but not once installed.  There must be some kind of a difference in how or what video drivers are getting installed/loaded, or that X isn't getting the correct one?  You might try to take a look in /var/log/X* for clues if something is going wrong while X is starting up.  Maybe even compare that to what you see in /var/log/X* after you boot from a LiveCD.

My own personal opinion is that for skill topics, fixing problems with X is among the more advanced.  In my experience it is generally less obvious why certain things are happening (or not) when it comes to X than other parts of the system.

-rj