[colug-432] SMART HDD Status

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 09:51:08 EST 2012

A while ago, in my thread about reading and writing NTFS volumes, Jim
warned us about Seagate's non-standard reporting status.  Last night I
procured a new enclosure for my HD, one that gives no errors reading or
writing NTFS volumes (and supports SMART status).  Indeed, I noticed that
the values for Hardware ECC Recovered, Seek Error Rate, Read Error Rate for
my Seagate Momentus were way off track - in the millions.  Scary, right?  I
found a possible explanation and way to decode it on Seagate's forum site
this morning:

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/Interpretation-of-Read-Error-Rate-in-S-M-A-R-T-data-Momentus/td-p/148427

As an aside, I highly recommend the Ageis NetDock, especially when it's
only $40 shipped.  For approximately the price of an external DVD burner,
you can have an external DVD burner, 2.5" SATA dock, and 4 port powered USB
hub.  It's very sturdy and final assembly occurs in the US.

http://www.jr.com/apricorn/pe/APR_ANDDVDRW/

(Whoops... look like they increased the price to $50 shipped.  Still a good
deal.)