[colug-432] org-mode alternatives?

Neal Dias roman at ensecure.org
Thu Jan 26 12:18:11 EST 2012

What I'm using is likely overkill for what you want, but I use a
combination of Atlassian (http://www.atlassian.com) products. Don't
throw things at me, they aren't OSS, but the personal licenses ($10)
for the quality of product is just ridicules.

I run Confluence and Jira with tons of plugins. More functionality
than you can shake a stick at; todo lists, blogs, notes, export to
static html, export to PDF/MS docs, import MS docs (plugin), multiple
users, and more. If you want to be as anal as me, you can also use use
Jira for ticketing and tie Jira projects to Confluence spaces.
Automatically create todo lists for jira tickets created by
email...Can tie SVN into Jira and have Jira track your commits, and
then create reports in Confluence using the jira/SVN data...

I use it professionally as well, since I can import/export to Word and
PDF, I create documents in Confluence, in discrete pieces that can be
"included" into other documents. When at Red Hat I produced all my
customer facing documentation, RFP's etc this way. I have, well had,
complete product documentation and sales information for RHN
Satellite. Using that one set of Confluence pages, I could produce an
infinite number of documents, keep revision history for not only the
primary document but each piece, and reuse them at will.

When as Chase I demo'd using Confluence as a reporting mechanism for
our management. Instead of making engineers have to produce weekly
status reports, because we all know how much we like writing status
reports, since we did all our commits into SVN, and I was pushing to
do all our documentation in Confluence, I could point our manager to a
Confluence page that would pull in a consolidated report of what each
engineer worked on, every jira ticket, every SVN commit, every
document update. Essentially everything that engineer did to produce
work product was automatically gathered without the engineer doing
anything more than his normal job.

Anyway, I digress, if it was OSS I'd offer a COLUG demo on it, but
prolly not the place...

I run Confluence and Jira in a ec2 instance with dyndns pointed to an
associated elastic IP. Works like a champ and accessible anywhere I
have inet.

-nd