[colug-432] June COLUG Meeting Announcement

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Mon Jul 2 15:31:11 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> I've been auditioning CMS's of a wiki form, that will take a
> CSS 'styling' and so forth, and am underwhelmed
>
> There is a bewildering variety of 'bike-shedding' and
> wheel-reinvention happening in this space:

Just as there is in most other spaces. "If you don't like it, fork
it."  There's more than one way to approach the issue of
multi-user-generated content, and the various teams arrive at various
decisions. Open source in action.

> [herrold at centos-5 ~]$ srcfind wiki | rev | awk -F"/" {'print \
>         $1'}| cut -d "-" -f 3- | rev | sort | uniq

A simple listing of package names is not a particularly useful way to
find what systems to evaluate.

> ikiwiki

ikiwiki is actually quite clever, I think. http://ikiwiki.info/ It
uses a Subversion (or git) backend to hold content.

> What 'needs' do others feel, and what low overhead paths to
> meeting such do others suggest.  Is this trip even necessary
> in this post-modern LUG age?

For publicly editable content, things like MediaWiki provide a wealth
of back-end administration and moderation tools. These serve the
Wikimedia projects fairly well. I think this stuff is of little value
to a relatively closed community like COLUG.

A more traditional blog mentality might be a better avenue of
exploration. In this space, I've been seeing Jekyll get a lot of
traction:
   https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll
It's the mechanism that powers GitHub pages
(http://pages.github.com/). If it's good enough for them, I think it'd
probably be okay for us.

Cheers,
Scott