[colug-432] udev hell

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jul 5 12:31:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:04:50 -0400, Andy Graybeal <andy.graybeal at casanueva.com> wrote:

> Jeff and Jep,
> Between what both of you said (the same thing), it sounds a little scary.

The stereo warnings are scary, but their forewarnings decrease
the actual hassle, since you know not to beat your head against
the wall when things don't make sense according to the dox.

Start with the simple; progress to the complex.
When things don't make sense, STFW. You are likely not the first
person to be misled by bad dox, so you'll likely find helpful
comments (amongst the many unhelpful comments). After RTFM and
STFW haven't worked, ask this list.

> Would updating the kernel possibly add problems...

Yes. More likely, it would just _change_ the problem,
which would likely not be helpful overall.

You're just going to have to hunker down and figure out the
grammar for whichever version of udev you have. My vague
impression is that the grammar is settling down,
so the dox will be less out of sync than they used to be.

Some folks (who might know the answers you need) will have
trouble reading your email's long lines, and thus not respond,
so keep your line length within 80 columns to get more/better

   http://lists.colug.net/pipermail/colug-432/2012-July/001774.html