[colug-432] CentOS vs. RHEL: the friction heats up...

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 20:06:43 EDT 2012

There have been a couple of interesting stories this week regarding
RedHat, CentOS, and the cloud.  Apparently RedHat has "adjusted" their
pricing such that some cloud providers and hosting facilities will see
their support contracts double in price.  They aren't too keen on
this, and so some are pushing CentOS instead.

http://www.thevarguy.com/2012/06/04/red-hat-enterprise-linuxs-biggest-cloud-rival-centos/

http://gigaom.com/cloud/red-hat-dilemma-cloud-players-balk-at-new-support-fees/

Furthermore, a cloud provider is offering CentOS SLA's, for CentOS
hosts running... on Azure!

http://www.wired.com/cloudline/2012/06/centos-azure/

I wonder if this will become painful enough for RedHat that they will
further obfuscate the way they package code, as they did a couple of
years back to try to stymie Oracle with Unbreakable Linux.  I'm not
experienced in packaging Linux packages, so I don't know how this
would turn out.