[colug-432] DNS delays for IPv6

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Jun 18 22:48:21 EDT 2012

Good question.
I don't *think* so.

As it happens, I upgraded the NetGear router firmware before calling
for service.  (Success through the elimination of excuses, and their
voice response robot had said "reboot your router" first.  Meh.)

After upgrading the router, I find it has a new feature: IPv6 smarts.
Nice.  So today I went ahead and tried auto-config.  Nuthin.  No idea
what that actually effected on the wire.  (I could guess it tried
DHCPv6, but that really is only a guess.)

Turned out that the cable modem really was dead, so he dropped off the new one.

Ahh ... but it has for ethernet ports and adds another NAT layer.
Reckon that would do it?  The DNS servers indicated on the DHCP lease
are the same (as what I got with just one NAT layer).

I really have grown to hate NAT.

-- R; <><

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM, FiL Farris <philipfarris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity was there any change to the (level of) service being
> provided by TWC/RR?  I have actually SEEN a tech sent out to just replace a
> faulty router (cable modem)  call in and by mistake have the service
> changed/re-provisioned.  This is of course is not supposed to happen but
> mistakes often happen when they have to "call in & close out" the order.
>

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Rick Troth <rmt at casita.net> wrote:
>>
>> Can someone lend me a clue stick?  (Or perhaps just slap me with it.)
>>
>> I got a new cable modem.  Since that time, I've had degrading internet
>> access.
>> To be specific, service went from intermittent extremes (all there, or
>> nothing there) to slower and slower.
>> IMPORTANT COINCIDENCE:  The new hardware was installed (by a TWC tech)
>> on June 7, one day after "World IPv6 Launch".  So I cannot tell for
>> sure if the problem is with the new hardware or is because of a change
>> in the network.
>>
>> The most obvious symptom is slow loading web pages.  Most other
>> services (XMPP, IMAP, SSH, PING, so on) seem to be working fine.
>> Google has it worst, but other sites too.  Direct 'wget' of some files
>> has been immediate, once the hostname resolved.
>>
>> Two experiments suggest that it is #1 related to IPv6 and #2 related
>> to DNS.  Of note, I disabled the IPv6 address on my daughter's machine
>> and it immediately got better.  (No details, just her report.)  Since
>> Google was/is a big hurt, I collected the IPv4 addresses for a number
>> of its hosts and hard-coded them in /etc/hosts and here too got
>> immediate relief.
>>
>> I cannot find news or articles or reports of similar experience.
>> (Certainly possible that it's just me.)  My home network has an IPv6
>> /48 routed over a SixXS tunnel which has worked well for more than a
>> year.
>>
>> I run my own 'named', forwarding to the servers provided by the ISP
>> (TWC/RR).  I don't see delays with 'nslookup'.  But when a given web
>> page is "slow", the behavior is as if it were resolving fetchable
>> objects in the page.

>> '::1, not-so-sweet ::1'

'::1, sweet ::1'