[colug-432] Ballarat and Lexington and Columbus

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Tue Jun 19 20:01:06 EDT 2012

I'm preparing talks for the upcoming "VM and Linux Workshop".  As I
do, I'm reviewing some YouTube videos from LinuxConfAU, which was held
this
past January in Ballarat (Victoria, Australia; that's near MEL-bun).
Wow!  I especially liked the talks by Karen Sandler and Matthew
Garrett.  The "channel" is http://www.youtube.com/user/linuxconfau2012

LinuxConfAu probably has like 800 attendees, and the VM/Linux Workshop
will be lucky to get 80.  So ... we're talking completely different
scale, but it's growing.  But the volunteerism is the same.  I'm
guessing OLF draws almost as many as LCA.  (Skippy would know the
numbers.)  This community stuff is awesome.

Just making observation.

Most of you are aware of OLF and will probably attend.  (If not, you
should!)  Few will have as much interest in the VM/L Workshop since it
is mainframe centric.  (But it's not exclusive ... and frankly I
wonder if KVM will be a bigger part in years to come since z/KVM is a
reality.)  I could go on and on about virtualization.

'::1, sweet ::1'