[colug-432] DNS delays for IPv6

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Tue Jun 19 20:13:55 EDT 2012

Thanks for the help, everyone.

I am slowly finding bits of relief.  I suspect that the added NAT
layer (IPv4) is one part, but also found some vestigial IPv6 routes.
(Sometimes they cache out (expire appropriately); other times they
need persuasion.)

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Angelo McComis <angelo at mccomis.com> wrote:
> Rick -- I would point out that beyond the initial NS lookup on the host
> name, pages should not be slow. These days with pages calling in ads and
> plug ins and what-not from facebook, doubleclick, etc., a given page might
> do 10 or more lookups, but once they're done, they should be cached locally
> according to their TTL rules (or your own rules for caching that might
> override what's in TTL).  Coding those addresses locally into /etc/hosts
> explains immediate relief on first lookup, but doesn't explain why
> subsequent lookups (before adding to /etc/hosts) were slow.

Exactly.

I'm on SixXS.  They, in turn, are merely a broker and the tunnels are
provided by various regional ISPs (for the sake of boosting IPv6 use).
 I have had bogus routing before.  SixXS actually has a means of
dealing with some routing problems.  (Mostly just routing a ticket
from their space to the correct backing ISP.)

'::1, sweet ::1'