[colug-432] June COLUG Meeting Announcement

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jun 26 12:08:03 EDT 2012

Jim asked that I post the meeting anouncement at the
http://www.colug.net/ placeholder, which I have

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> Thanks.

The hard drive with the former site has two sick partitions
damaged by the over-eager efforts at the remote hosting site
last month ;(  I suspect head crashes from power cycling

I possess off-site rsynced backups of that drive, and that
webbish content did not change quickly, so I should have most
of it except perhaps the most recent meeting posting for
April, (which we never archived anyway)

The mailing list content has on another server, for the last
couple years, anwyay, and is back-uped up to current, so no
hassle there.  There is good stuff under the old layout that I
am used to accessing (old COLUG presentations), LUG lists, and
I'd like it accessible again.  Most of the rest was
either slow-changing boilerplate (useful) or 'fluff'.  I had
some 'tricks' in there so the site seemed to be actively
curated for Google's spiders

>From a 'needs analysis' POV, that describes what I'd like to
get up again [excepting the fluff ;) ]

I've been auditioning CMS's of a wiki form, that will take a
CSS 'styling' and so forth, and am underwhelmed

There is a bewildering variety of 'bike-shedding' and
wheel-reinvention happening in this space:

[herrold at centos-5 ~]$ srcfind wiki | rev | awk -F"/" {'print \
 	$1'}| cut -d "-" -f 3- | rev | sort | uniq
dokuwiki
dokuwiki-plugin-bureaucracy
drupal7-mediawiki_api
ikiwiki
mediawiki
mediawiki114
mediawiki115
mediawiki116
mediawiki-CategoryTree
mediawiki-Cite
mediawiki-HNP
mediawiki-HTTP302Found
mediawiki-imagemap
mediawiki-InputBox
mediawiki-LdapAccount
mediawiki-openid
mediawiki-ParserFunctions
mediawiki-Renameuser
mediawiki-rss
mediawiki-semantic
mediawiki-SpecialInterwiki
mediawiki-StubManager
mediawiki-validator
mediawiki-wikicalendar
perl-CGI-Kwiki
perl-Kwiki
perl-Kwiki-Archive-Rcs
perl-Kwiki-Attachments
perl-Kwiki-Diff
perl-Kwiki-Diff-Mutual
perl-Kwiki-ModPerl
perl-Kwiki-NewPage
perl-Kwiki-Raw
perl-Kwiki-RecentChanges
perl-Kwiki-Revisions
perl-Kwiki-Search
perl-Kwiki-TableOfContents-Print
perl-Kwiki-UserName
perl-Kwiki-UserPreferences
perl-Kwiki-Users-Remote
perl-Text-KwikiFormatish
perl-Text-MediawikiFormat
perl-Wiki-Toolkit-Formatter-Mediawiki
python-lyricwiki
python-simplemediawiki
python-wikimarkup

with dokuwiki and mediawiki seeming to be ones that are
maintained credibly (docuwiki is pretty minimal; mediawiki is
what the Wikipedia and Fedora folks use)

 	http://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki
 	http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

but they are so ugly even so

Security seems to be addressed in each:
 	http://www.dokuwiki.org/security
 	http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Security

I sure wish each had a specific -security-announce mailing
list, though, so I could track this better

I am very distrustful of more formal CMS' such as Joomla and
Drupal, as I have seen their code, and repeated exploits
there.  I do not want to be in 'site maintenance mode' for
COLUG at all.  The old hand-build CMS that Paul and I cobbled
together has worked well over the years from a security
stqandpoing, but not so well for delegation of authoring.
CentOS has had pretty good luck with trusted authors and
MoinMoin
 	http://moinmo.in/

but it does not theme well

but it requires me watching all posts diff's to keep spam out
even so.  Don't even get me started on de-spamming the
more 'open' forums

What 'needs' do others feel, and what low overhead paths to
meeting such do others suggest.  Is this trip even necessary
in this post-modern LUG age?

-- Russ herrold