[colug-432] to get a tablet

Greg Sidelinger gate at ilive4code.net
Sat Mar 10 13:45:52 EST 2012

I have a first gen iPad and an HP Touchpad running ICS.  I love them both
and honesty can't decide which I like better.  Granted my Touchpad is
running the community supported cyanogenmod which is alpha quality software
but other than a few quicks is very stable.  I still find myself going to
the laptop for anything that involves much input as pecking at a screen to
type anything other than a login is kind of annoying.  I have never looked
into getting a keyboard for either as I already have a portable computer
that comes with one built in.

A lot of it comes down to which tablet has the better applications for it.
 I love GoodReader on my ipad and wish I could find a PDF reader on
Android which was even close to it.  I even like how I have all of my PDFs
only available to just that application, no browsing an SD card to figure
out where I left a file at.  Granted that does mean I have multiple copies
of some files on my iPad which is a trade off.  And of course getting the
files off the thing is next to imposible without using some kind of cloud
storage.

One nice thing (maybe the only) about the Sony tablets is they are opening
them up to their Playstation brand and putting some older playstation games
out on it along with a few of their newer games. I guess you can even use
your PS3 controller over bluetooth on some of them. It's mostly
their feeble attempt to try and stay relevant in the new mobile gaming
market where we spend less time on the dedicated consoles thanks games like
angry birds.

A friend of my got the transformer prime a few weeks back and he was not
having any WIFI issues.

Greg