[colug-432] Keybord input oddity... thoughts?

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 16:09:37 EDT 2012

That sounds like a "key UP" event is getting lost.  It's been a few
years since I've delved into the world of USB HID, but vaguely--
everything that happens on the keyboard is sent to the host as an
event.  Key is pressed -- key down event is sent.  Key is released --
key up event is sent.  It's then up to the host to implement things
like shift, shift-lock, and.... repeating keys.  So, if the host gets
a key down but never sees a corresponding key up, the host thinks
you're leaning on a key.

I can't remember how the X server works, but I suspect that it is
keeping a count for each key state-- key-down makes the count
increment; key-up makes the count decrement.  So, no amount of
key-presses would clear it.  You truly would need to pull your
keyboard (or otherwise cause it to disconnect from the USB) and
reconnect it.

You can dork around with which interface the X server uses (kbd vs.
event) -- that might help a bit.  I suspect, though, that your VM is
sending events to the wrong place every so often.

Jeff