[colug-432] Keybord input oddity... icky thoughts!

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Mar 31 14:45:32 EDT 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:14:12 -0400, William Yang <wyang at gcfn.net> wrote:

> Occasionally on the Ubuntu side, the system *acts* like a
> keyboard key gets stuck, but no amount of tapping or adjustment of the
> keyboard is sufficient to resolve it until I restart the X server ...

> Just from an anomoly identification standpoint, it's a little odd that I
> have *never* had a similar problem on the Win7 side.  That makes me think
> it could be software, rather than hardware.

That's an entirely reasonable thought.

Here are some icky thoughts.

Another possibility is that there _is_ a hardware problem,
and that MS Windows copes with it better than Linux.

Another possibility is that when rebooting, crumbs left over
from the previous OS's driver are not completely swept away by the
new driver, with those crumbs causing problems. It there any
correlation between what was running before Ubuntu and the
problem? E.g., between rebooting to Ubuntu and cold boots?

> ... no keyboard input works).

Not even external USB keyboards?

> It's a mild annoyance, but given how much time I spend on
> this thing, even mild annoyances are worth a moment's attention if it's
> straightforward to make them go away.

>From the icky treating symptoms/shotgunning department:

   http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=140&subid=291&refine=keyboard

Would using one OS as a VM inside the other workaround the problem?