[colug-432] Routers Address

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Sun May 6 08:55:02 EDT 2012

As I'm reading your message, you received a device that's already
configured and do not know its IP address, which you presumably need to
reconfigure it.

My first thought it "plug in a crossover cable from the machine to a
workstation rnning tcpdump and watch for packets that contain the IP."
That may or may not work -- I don't know how noisy the router's going to
be, or what kinds of things it's going to be looking for internally to
generate traffic.

My second thought is to think "password recovery" -- there's probably a way
to reset everything to factory defaults described in the manual, which may
be faster and more efficient than trying to find traffic.

Many of these devices come with a (Windows) disk for initial setup, using
UPnP or something similar to do initial setup.  I don't know about the
specific device, but that may also be a good option or you.

Finally... how much is it worth to you, to do this?  Sometimes, receiving
used gear turns out to be an excuse to go to FreeGeek to get rid of it....