[colug-432] Routers Address

Ed Liddle ed at someplaceinohio.net
Mon May 7 08:34:42 EDT 2012

The following is from SMC's FAQ on  their website. I home this helps. I
would first reset the router and proceed as if it were new. If the router
is already configured it may be set up not to respond to pings in which
case pinging it would not yield anything.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=promotion&localeCode=EN_USA&pageNum=12#wiredr-a5
*How do I Login to the Router?*
back<http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=promotion&localeCode=EN_USA&pageNum=12#quest>
  Open
a new browser window and in the address bar type in 'http://192.168.2.1' or
'http://192.168.2.1:80' or 'http://192.168.2.1:88' and press enter.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=promotion&localeCode=EN_USA&pageNum=12#wiredr-a15

*How do I RESET the router?*
back<http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=promotion&localeCode=EN_USA&pageNum=12#quest>
  You
will have to use a paper clip or a similar pointed object to do the reset
procedure.

*Hard reset:* Insert the paper clip to the reset button and hold it down
for 15 seconds, while the paper clip is still in unplug the power cord that
goes in to the router, now wait for 15 more seconds and then give the power
supply back to the router, again wait for 15 more seconds and finally let
the clip go. You will see the router's LEDs flashing. If this happens it
means that we have successfully completed the reset.

*Soft reset: * Login to the router, go to the Tools menu, click on
configuration tools and select the option restore router to factory
defaults to reset the router.   *What are the possible default passwords
for the router?*
back<http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=promotion&localeCode=EN_USA&pageNum=12#quest>
  The
password would be blank/admin/smcadmin by default. Blank password implies
that you need to click on login without giving any input.

But, if you have set a password on your own and not able to recollect it,
try resetting the router.

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM, William Yang <wyang at gcfn.net> wrote:

> As I'm reading your message, you received a device that's already
> configured and do not know its IP address, which you presumably need to
> reconfigure it.
>
> My first thought it "plug in a crossover cable from the machine to a
> workstation rnning tcpdump and watch for packets that contain the IP."
> That may or may not work -- I don't know how noisy the router's going to
> be, or what kinds of things it's going to be looking for internally to
> generate traffic.
>
> My second thought is to think "password recovery" -- there's probably a way
> to reset everything to factory defaults described in the manual, which may
> be faster and more efficient than trying to find traffic.
>
> Many of these devices come with a (Windows) disk for initial setup, using
> UPnP or something similar to do initial setup.  I don't know about the
> specific device, but that may also be a good option or you.
>
> Finally... how much is it worth to you, to do this?  Sometimes, receiving
> used gear turns out to be an excuse to go to FreeGeek to get rid of it....
>

> On 05/01/2012 02:53 PM, Thomas W. cranston wrote:
> > How do I determine what my routers address is?
> >
> > It is a SMC Barricade.
> >
> > I tried pinging w/ 192.168.2.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1.
> >
> > The users manual does not state what it is.
> >
> > A friend gave it to me. claims it works, but does not remember what
> > it's address is.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> --
> William Yang
> wyang at gcfn.net

-Ed Liddle

No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many
electrons were terrible inconvenienced.