[colug-432] CUPS Server

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Tue May 29 17:06:21 EDT 2012

To prolong the hijacking of this thread, I feel the same as Rick and
Rob that 'service' is annoying.  I would go further and say that it is
"change for change sake", which is contra-goodness.  I would not
object if it were simply a wrapper around the traditional INIT
scripts.  But it seems it is more ... or wants to be.

What can be done about stuff like this?  I'm not whining for whining's
sake.  I'm complaining about a change thrown at me which offers little
(any?) operational improvement.  Granted, it does *look* prettier.
(Oh my ... commands with slashes in them.  How very mainframe-esque.)
This is why I'm bitter toward Canonical.  (RH not so much, and SuSE
even less)  Doesn't anyone care about interoperability?

But ... to redeem the thread ... Tom, if you have another system which
*can* hit this printer, you might try copying /etc/cups/printers.conf
to the troubled one.  (Use care. I always merge these files by hand
rather than overlay the troubled one ... just in case.)  It helps (in
my house) to use different distros and compare CUPS parms and vars.

-- R; <><

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 29, 2012, at 12:55, Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net> wrote:
>
>> Since I'm an old-
>> school command-line guy I went straight for "sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart"
>> and that fixed it (while complaining that I should've used the "service"
>> command, whose parameter order I never remember).
>
> Kids these days and their fancy "service" commands. We used to have to walk to school uphill...
>
> I personally still use the init.d scripts myself. I like the tab completion, and using "service" doesn't seem to have a big enough advantage to switch. It cleans up the environment? bah. The environment is organized just how I like it. Now get off my lawn... ;)

'::1, sweet ::1'