[colug-432] talking to your ISP

davelist at mac.com davelist at mac.com
Fri Nov 30 07:33:46 EST 2012

On Nov 29, 2012, at 11:16 PM, Rick Hornsby wrote:

> I'm sure many of us live somewhere that residential internet service can at best be described as a monopoly, so that the ISP you have is the one you're stuck with.  For many in Columbus (and for myself here in KC MO now), that choice is TimeWarner.  The service is no better out here than in Columbus.  I tried to get AT&T DSL out here, but every time it rained, the DSL signal went out.  Couldn't get them to fix it.  Gave up.
>
> Despite paying for a 10Mb/s link, I've pretty much never seen that for real.  It was awful for a couple of months, then got a little better.  4-5 is about what I can hope for on the best day.  Over the last few days, my connection has gotten progressively worse to the point where barely acceptable streaming video is now pretty much impossible.  It seems that this might be a combination of factors including speed and jitter.  A straight download of 600MB on iTunes now takes about 40 minutes - by my calculations around 2Mbp/s.

<snip>

For another data point, I too have noticed that TW (I'm in Hilliard) speeds have been horrible the last few days (especially when downloading from iTunes). It was pretty good up until then. The only thing I've tried so far is power cycling my router and cable modem, but it didn't seem to help. I don't know whether to blame TW or something upstream. I will probably investigate more this weekend.

I've been considering switching since TW has raised my bill about 15% this year. The other options I have are AT&T UVerse and Wide Open West.

Dave