[colug-432] Mozilla and Google conspiracy

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Mon Oct 8 12:46:08 EDT 2012

Rick,

THE QUESTION is ... how concerned should I be that Google will pull
> the plug?  They warn me "some features may not work".  I consciously
> take my chances.  But Googoo has been whining more loudly for a week
> or two.  Then today, they upped it again.

I do think there is certainly an incentive for Chrome to work with Google
products better than other browsers. However, I think everyone knows how
well that's turned out for Microsoft [1,2,3].

I think the real reason isn't conspiracy, but rather limited testing and
programming resources. HTML5 and CSS3 are are moving targets and every
browser version has it's quirks [4].  So do you allocate scarce resources
on ensuring compatibility with Firefox 3.6.x, that not even Mozilla wants
you to use [5], or push them to upgrade?

-Eric

[1]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#Non-standard_extensions
[2]  http://www.informationweek.com/797/ie.htm
[3]