[colug-432] Permissions Problem

Stephen P. Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 16 15:45:14 EDT 2012

I have switched my Linux tower to Debian 6.0.5 (64 bit)/KDE 4.4.5 and
have a rather odd problem for which I can't seem to find a solution.

I have a HD on my system, sdc1 which has root root ownership.  I created
a directory, Apps, to which I gave computation computation ownership
(user). I can create a file in the Apps directory without any problems
as the user.

However, when I try to run an installer, for example;

./install_ecce.6.4.rehl5-gcc4.1.2-m64.csh

i get a Permission denied message.

i should note that the same installer runs in the users (computation)
directory tree.  The installer permission are set for an executable
file, and cash has been installed on the system.

I know enough about permissions to know that I'm missing something, but
I don't know what it might be. I've search the web and posted to the
Debian users group to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.        Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry        Stochastic andmultivariate