[colug-432] Strange sendmail issue on Fedora 15

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Fri Oct 26 08:58:13 EDT 2012

I'm suddenly having a strange issue with sendmail on my Fedora 15 home
server.  This system has run F15 since soon after F16 released (I tend
to stay one rev back to make sure I don't hit any new release problems),
and this problem has only cropped up in the past couple of days since my
last reboot.

When I send mail from my Windows client (Thunderbird), it takes several
seconds for the outgoing message window to close.  The mail then enters
sendmail's queue and gets a host name lookup error for my smarthost
(smtp-server.insight.rr.com).  If I do nothing, it will stay in there
and after 4 hours I'll get a delayed warning email. If, however, I go
onto the server and run sendmail -q, the message will send without
problems.  I also see this same issue if I am using Openwebmail.
Incoming mail works without issue, however.

It shows all the signs of a DNS issue, but I've checked that my
resolv.conf still lists the Google 8.8.8.8 server, and nslookup/dig all
work fine.  Plus, like I said, if I run sendmail by hand everything
clears without issue.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
-spp