[colug-432] Problem with Grub2

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 14:12:25 EDT 2012

On Sep 30, 2012, at 12:37 PM, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> I have just revamped my Linux platform and have a question about grub2.
>
> I have two distributions installed and would like to change the order of
> selection on the boot screen.  It used to be simple with grub, only
> changing the order of the entries in menu.lst

I think it will depend on which distro you're talking about that is managing the bootloader.

I don't have Grub2 in front of me, but a quick google search turns up that /etc/default/grub seems to be where you want to look (yeah, odd that that it isn't in /boot) for Ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#File_Structure

---
File Structure
GRUB 2 incorporates a totally revised directory and file hierarchy. The major GRUB 2 folders include /etc/grub.d, which contains the main GRUB 2 scripts, and /boot/grub, which contains the GRUB 2 modules and menu file (grub.cfg). User customizations are normally made to the/etc/default/grub file.

Boot Display Behavior
GRUB 2 loads before any operating system. Its modular components are loaded on an as-needed basis. Menu display behavior is generally determined by settings in /etc/default/grub. Review the "Configuring GRUB 2" section for specific entry and formatting guidance.

Initial Default
	• GRUB 2 will boot straight into the default operating system if no other operating system is detected. No menu will be displayed. If another operating system is detected, the GRUB 2 menu will display.

Timed Display
	• The menu is displayed for a predetermined number of seconds. The default entry is highlighted and other selections may be made by the user until the timeout expires. The default timeout is 10 seconds. The timer continues until any key is pressed or the highlighted entry is selected by pressing ENTER. If no user input is made GRUB 2 boots the default entry at the end of the timeout period.

	• Once a key has been pressed the timeout is deactivated and the user must make a selection manually.
	• The default entry is determined by the GRUB_DEFAULT= setting in /etc/default/grub; the first "menuentry" has a value of "0".
---