[colug-432] Red Hat in May

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Apr 20 11:12:13 EDT 2013

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Jim Wildman wrote:

> It speaks to the hypervisors (VMWare, RHEV and Hyper-V (rudimentally))
> via the hypervisor's API.  This includes the ability to read the
> filesystems of powered off VM's (assuming they have not been encrypted).
> <insert Russ's security comments here>

That 'aside' may have been a bit cryptic to some.  Jim Prior,
Rick Troth and others in COLUG have seen the 'pmman'
virtualization control interface in action in various aspects.

Over the last few years, I've migrated my development efforts
in to short lived VM's (longer lived as needed for production
purposes).  Lots of benefits for developers to this -- ease of
deployment, ease of 'snapshotting' backups (hot and
quiescent), ease of replicating a mis-behaving reproducer
instance and handing it off to a (potentially remote)
co-developer to 'run down the fault', ease of doing diagnostic
partitioning to find a fault

I've sold the service of the system to a major chip
manufacturer's developers to build custom 'small machine'
embedded distribution; to a US military's contractor's
developers to build appliances for milspec environments; to a
major FOSS distribution's main build-slaves; for development
in 'z' space of a full line private label distribution, and so
forth

But back to the 'powered off' / 'scratched' VM privacy
issue

In poking around threat vectors, backup copies, and discarded
VM images use LVM snapshotting in part of the process of their
generation.  It became clear that subsequent images might be
assigned space in a new LVM that had information from a prior
usage of that drive space that might be readable with the
prior data still present, outside of conventional filesystem
reading techniques -- functionally, DD'ing the device and then
running 'strings' on the copied image, looking for interesting
leftover data

A couple years ago, I had spoken with Ted T'so and then Rich
Jones (libguestfs developer) about the need to 'wipe' space
down, and an option, but not a mandatory default due to
performance reasons, now exists to 'zero' previously
un-written to space, as to file-system provided access.  But
the 'out of band' data access problem persisted

I had provided a 'review copy' of our design approach to
'wiping down' old LVM space to Jim W earlier this week for
review -- see:
 	man shred
which will work just fine on raw LVM COW images, and he had
been kind enough to look it over with a critical eye

Thanks, Jim

-- Russ herrold