[colug-432] Red Hat in May

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Fri Apr 19 22:55:35 EDT 2013

What I know about MIQ/CF 2.0 (from watching it demo'd asking questions,
reading, etc)...  I should have it in a lab in a week or two.

It speaks to the hypervisors (VMWare, RHEV and Hyper-V (rudimentally))
via the hypervisor's API.  This includes the ability to read the
filesystems of powered off VM's (assuming they have not been encrypted).
<insert Russ's security comments here>

Between the CF 'appliances' themselves it does PostGres DB replication.
I don't know how the appliances communicate (ie what protocol they use),
but it is encrypted with some level of ssl.  It is written mostly in Ruby
and I would suspect some sort of REST interface is used.

It scales horizontally very well.  The largest reference customer I've
seen is 18,000 vm's under management, rolling up to a single
reporting/control head.

It has a pretty cool modeling interface and an embedded rules engine
for taking actions.

zVM/PPC haven't been mentioned at all.  That said, IBM
(surprise) has a product that can manage zVM, PPC, VMWare and RHEV
instances, especially if you use their blades (duh).  They are pushing
it pretty hard to their zVM customers.

(non redhat opinion here).  zVM and zLinux are not going away.  I don't
know that they will ever have RHT's focus simply because it is too hard to
sell against IBM into a mainframe shop.  There are more winnable battles
for RHT to fight.

I've been told that CF will be open sourced, at which point it wouldn't
surprise me if it grew some more hypervisor support.  But that may take
years to complete (the open sourcing).

To Neal's point, in my 6 months at RHT, I've only met one person who
does not "get" Open Source as RHT uses it.  It appears to me that RHT's
methods have been accepted in the marketplace by the sales people, or
RHT is doing better at screening new hires.  We seem to have added a lot
of sales people with 10-20 years of experience selling technology.