[colug-432] vpn tunnel or http+tcp forward proxy setup?

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 22:53:47 EDT 2013

I have kind of a unique circumstance -- my sister and her military husband
recently moved to South Korea for a 2 year assignment.

The problem is that sites like Amazon and Netflix are refusing to serve
them properly (or at all in the case of Netflix) because they have an
non-US ip address.  They have a StrongVPN account, but have been having a
hard time getting it to work on the Linksys router I gave them with ddwrt
and strongVPN configured.  Oddly, the setup worked here in the states.
 They said that they tried getting the router VPN working and just never
could, but got a single computer configured to log into the VPN.

They're ready to give up, but I had two more ideas.  The first is to
purchase one of the pre-built strongvpn routers, along with the support
that comes with it.  I've given them every suggestion I could think of to
try, so I'm pretty much out of options to help them directly without going
over there and messing with it.  This option is kind of expensive.

The other is what if I set up a forward(?) proxy here in the states on my
Google Fiber connection?  It would mean configuring each client device
individually (ie slingplayer, browsers, etc) which would be a pain, but it
might work?  One of the downsides here is that if my IP changes, all of
their devices have to be reconfigured.

I understand how to set up haproxy as a reverse proxy for load balancing,
but I really don't know much about squid for forward proxying.  Is squid
capable of forwarding arbitrary tcp traffic, or does it have to be http?
 Is there something better than squid?  Has anyone set anything like this
up, or happen to have an example config or a blog post about how they
configured it?

I know how to use ssh to act as a SOCKS5 proxy, but that won't work here.
 A couple of the devices that they need to connect are iOS, Windows, and
things like an AppleTV (Netflix app) -- so obviously a router-level
solution would be best.

Is there another provider besides StrongVPN who would provide good
technical support for a situation like this?

thanks guys