[colug-432] Intel Centrino

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Tue Dec 10 16:23:13 EST 2013

Tom,

There was a period in history where Intel "banned" Centrino on laptops from
running Linux.

How can they "ban" an OS from running on a chip? Surely they just want to
make chips and sell them, right?  It's actually aimple -- they wrap it in
license agreement with the manufacturers, that a manufacturer using their
chips won't put said chips on a laptop not running an approved OS that has
the hardware hooks that can do power management.

Why the fuss?  Intel brought out the Centrino brand to market a "low power
consumption" product. They felt that without the power management at the OS
layer, their brand would disappoint users if the power management
capabilities could not be exercised the same way on Linux as in Windows.

Once Linux 2.6.8 came out, which brought power management capabilities for
Linux into the 21st century, Intel lifted this "ban" on Linux/Centrino.

Because of this sordid history, finding support for anything circa 2006-and
before will not be an easy task.

HTH.

Angelo