[colug-432] MicroSD cards: exFAT or ext?

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Feb 7 11:39:48 EST 2013

Thanks for the insight, Rob.

> Since your Pogo doesn't have a built-in SD card slot, I'd suggest
> skipping the SD card and just going with a thumb drive.  These devices
> are so inexpensive now that you can easily buy two or three and use the
> spares for on-the-shelf backups.  Then if your thumb drive ever does
> take a dive, you can just plug in the backup and you're back up and
> running, well, unless your thumb drive has a failure mode similar to
> my Microcenter drive.

As you identified, SD is fast.  My experience with thumb drives
suggests they're not as fast. Moreover, it's hard to find any kind of
classification or rating for your average thumb drive.  With SD cards,
I can explicitly look for Class 6 or Class 10 cards, and know what to
expect performance-wise.

Obviously the PogoPlug is no performance star, so maybe I'm tilting at
windmills.  But if I can use fast media to provide some measure of
performance improvement on the Plug, I'd like to try.  I have a couple
of projects in mind for it, and don't want to sell myself short.