[colug-432] MicroSD cards: pysical wear and tear

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 7 14:22:54 EST 2013

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:43:19 -0500, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:

> I currently have a traditional external USB HDD (read: rotational
> media) attached to this. The use case for this system doesn't merit a
> solid state hard drive, but I could use USB sticks or SD cards to
> avoid physical wear and tear.

Flash memory has physical wear[1] when writing to it.
The number of erase/write cycles before it wears out,
has been improving, but it much much lower than for a
regular hard drive.
If you have read-only partitions, then flash will last
longer than you care about. If you're constantly writing to it,
then expect it to wear out faster than a hard drive.
Wear leveling in better quality flash memory mitigates,
but does not eliminate. Hint: the reason they call them
"_wear_ leveling algorithms" is because of _wear_,
which is what you said you were trying to avoid.
Don't put swap on flash memory.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Memory_wear
    For fun yikes, read following "Read disturb" section also.