[colug-432] problems with roadrunner?

Dave Alden dave at alden.name
Tue Jan 1 16:55:28 EST 2013

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing problems with roadrunner?  For the past
couple of weeks I've been having brief (a few minutes) network problems
every few hours.  What'll happen during the problem time is my ping
times will go from 50-60 ms up to many seconds (sometimes as long as 25
seconds) and then back down to 50-60 ms -- this will repeat for a few
minutes and then all is normal again for many hours.

I have a continually running ping going from my linux router to my
gateway.  I've tried substituting a new modem, but I'm still having the
same problem.  TimeWarner hasn't been any real help (I can't seem to get
past the level 1 tech's and I'm tired of calling them). Any suggestions
(besides dropping TimeWarner :)?

...dave

ps  My son just told me that his friends are reporting similar problems
(several in our area, Gahanna, and one in Westerville).