[colug-432] DD-WRT

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:58:28 EST 2013

On Jan 17, 2013, at 19:11 , Joshua Kramer <joskra42.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you describe what happens when it goes up and down?  I.E., is there an actual carrier disconnect (for instance, if it's DSL, does the DSL disconnect), or does it stop routing?
>
> For a long time, I puttered around via my 3mbit DSL line.  Then, I decided it would be worth it to upgrade the service to 10mbit.  The 3mbit line was rock-solid, without any outage, ever.  They had to move me to a different DSLAM for the 10mbit card.  At first they plugged me into a card that was dead, so they had to move me to a new card.  Now, it seems as if every 4th or 5th connection attempt, the connection fails.  For example, on Facebook refreshes, half the photos don't show up on my wall, and websites often time out.  At some point I'm going to start up a bunch of traceroutes in parallel to see how many of them fail.

Traceroute not withstanding (that won't really help), there are some tools that would help diagnose what you're seeing from an HTTP client perspective (ie 12 page elements loaded and 18 failed).  Charles is one (http://www.charlesproxy.com), and there was another that was presented at SECWOG several years back (it was an old-school looking AWT (obviously) java application?) but whose name I can't remember now.  There is a plugin for Firefox that does essentially the same thing, but my brain has stopped working and I can't remember the name of that either.