[colug-432] Monitoring an analog, external device's power usage?

Vince Herried Vince at PlanetVince.com
Sat Jan 26 18:18:45 EST 2013

gazillions of ways.

of the top of  my head.
separate the  hot and  neutral lines in the power cord.
cut one. and wrap some turns around a ferrite  torus   Say three or four.
some experimenting needed.
then wrap another wire, say # 22 also around the wire.
say 20 turns.  you just made a transformer. output voltage = 20 * ( voltage
drop in the 4 turns )/4
with small amp and rectumfier < tm > convert to DC and
hook that up to a single board computer, say a Raspberry Pi. and go to town.
There are  a bunch of accessory boards....
http://elinux.org/RPi_Expansion_Boards

Ages  ago I had connected the heat line from my furnace into the a-d input
on my Amiga and
logged it. New furnace, Amiga gone...
I'm just starting a project to get a raspberry pi and using it  to track
thermostat requests for fan,heat,cool, and maybe air pressure diff between
the sides of  the
furnace filter ( eg when is it time to replace filter ).

Pi can access wifi ( with dongle ) and you can pull the data via ssh or ...

re:....

> I'm a new home owner, and I have a sump pump in the basement that I would
> like to monitor electronically.

<snip>