[colug-432] Monitoring an analog, external device's power usage?

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 18:50:14 EST 2013

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 13:53:33 -0800 (PST), Peter Kukla <fruviad at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm a new home owner, and I have a sump pump in the basement that I would like

> Does anyone out there have any Linux-friendly solutions for monitoring power u

You'll find plenty of sump pump monitoring projects on the web.

> The sump pump currently plugs into a power outlet.

AC power can go out when you need it most,
when a big storm dumps much rain.

3. Have a battery powered sump pump in _parallel_ with AC powered
   sump pump. Redundancy is a good thing. Big storms bring much
   water and you can lose AC power when you need it most.
   Set it up so that the battery powered sump turns on at a
   higher water level than the normal pump.
   _Practice_ powering the battery powered sump from your car.

This would be in addition to your measuring and remote alert stuff.

By the way, the very idea of building a house to _need_ a sump
pump is a poor one. It makes a house vulnerable to flooding.
Well designed/built/placed houses don't need sump pumps.
If you need a sump pump, you're in a bad place for a house.
I'm quite aware that building codes require sump pumps.

I was going north on 3C from SR161, and marveled at a housing
development that was being built. There was much heavy
equipment. The equipment was idle and there was nobody around
because the land was underwater. A few years later, there
were many houses. Pay attention to topography when buying
a house. When you're in the country, notice where the _old_
houses are.

Also, sump pumps die. Plan and prepare for it. A dead sump
pump might use no power, so it's better to monitor water
height in the sump. To go from water height to PC, I
would probably use the line-in audio jack. The output
_frequency_ of the audio signal would indicate the water
height. A very crude sensor would be float on the arm of a
variable resistor. I would likely use a non-contact sensor.
I would either use an ultrasonic transducer to measure the
distance to the water, or use a capacitive sensor.
Microcenter or Radio Shack might have ultrasonic stuff in
the northwest corner of the store past the service counter.