[colug-432] monitoring your sump pump one box solution... maybe

Vince Herried Vince at PlanetVince.com
Sun Jan 27 13:53:16 EST 2013

I used to run an old server from home, it was costing me about $7.00 /
month in electricity not including the
over head of having it and the network devices on the ups.  It had 512MB
ram two 10Krpm scsi drives running raid.
No monitor normally was attached.

I was  thinking about  Jim's suggestion and thought about some boat anchors
I have.

I have a  tiny HP E-PC C10 e-vectra, that has stickers on it for Windows
2000 and XP workstation 4.0 and  Celeron processor.
it uses a laptop mother board the external power supply is 19V box says
3160ma needed.

a 128MB of s100 ram (one slot only )  my understanding is that there are
256MB strips but probably hard  to find.

a 1/4  IDE height CD drive slot ( I have none ).

2 usb

audio in/out old style mouse/kybd connectors (PS/2)

RJ45 Ethernet ( doesn't appear to like my 100/1000 network.  Probably only
supports 10Mbit

serial,parallel, vga

an external power supply

takes 36 watts idle with HDisk installed.
includes Samsung SP0802N drive with fedora F18 ( the latest ) just
installed this  morning.
the drive doesn't seem to  support SMART so I can't  give you any stats on
it.
root password is the drive model number in lower case :)

Unfortunately this  version of fedora doesn't seem to be able to  drive the
display,  it gets a bunch of crazy blockies
it does  boot I was  able to  login and  issue commands.
so if you connected it to 10 Mbit network you could config it via ssh.

Did I mention 36  watts with hdrive  installed and  spinning idle :)

$10 takes it all.  Heck the drive and my labor of installing it worth that
:)

---
Vince