[colug-432] monitoring your sump pump one box solution... maybe

Thomas Cranston thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 16:32:21 EST 2013

On 1/27/13, Vince Herried <Vince at planetvince.com> wrote:
> I used to run an old server from home, it was costing me about $7.00 /
> month in electricity not including the
> over head of having it and the network devices on the ups.  It had 512MB
> ram two 10Krpm scsi drives running raid.
> No monitor normally was attached.
>
> I was  thinking about  Jim's suggestion and thought about some boat anchors
> I have.
>
> I have a  tiny HP E-PC C10 e-vectra, that has stickers on it for Windows
> 2000 and XP workstation 4.0 and  Celeron processor.
> it uses a laptop mother board the external power supply is 19V box says
> 3160ma needed.
>
> a 128MB of s100 ram (one slot only )  my understanding is that there are
> 256MB strips but probably hard  to find.
>
> a 1/4  IDE height CD drive slot ( I have none ).
>
> 2 usb
>
> audio in/out old style mouse/kybd connectors (PS/2)
>
> RJ45 Ethernet ( doesn't appear to like my 100/1000 network.  Probably only
> supports 10Mbit
>
> serial,parallel, vga
>
> an external power supply
>
> takes 36 watts idle with HDisk installed.
> includes Samsung SP0802N drive with fedora F18 ( the latest ) just
> installed this  morning.
> the drive doesn't seem to  support SMART so I can't  give you any stats on
> it.
> root password is the drive model number in lower case :)
>
> Unfortunately this  version of fedora doesn't seem to be able to  drive the
> display,  it gets a bunch of crazy blockies
> it does  boot I was  able to  login and  issue commands.
> so if you connected it to 10 Mbit network you could config it via ssh.
>
> Did I mention 36  watts with hdrive  installed and  spinning idle :)
>
> $10 takes it all.  Heck the drive and my labor of installing it worth that
> :)

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Less components, less
things to fail.

There are solar powered bilge pumps for boats. You will need a battery
in conjunction with it. Don't know about interface to the internet.
Would not be surprised if one comes with such an interface. A lot of
boat stuff comes with such an interface now days. Life jackets do.
> ---
> Vince

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Less components, less
things to fail.

There are solar powered bilge pumps for boats. You will need a battery
in conjunction with it. Don't know about interface to the internet.
Would not be surprised if one comes with such an interface. A lot of
boat stuff comes with such an interface now days. Life jackets do.

Tom