[colug-432] Samsung Galaxy S3 and Addressbook/Contacts sync

Ed Liddle ed at someplaceinohio.net
Wed Jul 24 11:34:39 EDT 2013

Sogo was mentioned at a session I attended at SELF for its calendering
features.
http://www.sogo.nu/

*Share* your calendars, address books and mails in your community with a
completely *free and open source* solution.
Let your *Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning*, *Microsoft Outlook*, *Apple
iCal/iPhone* and *BlackBerry* users collaborate using a *modern*platform.

I hope this helps!

-Ed

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM, R S Prigan <lordscotus1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for reliable ways to sync (especially) my AddressBook from a
> hosted site I control to my computer(s) and S3.
> I am not happy about having to share all my contacts with Google, and
> still having sync be flaky between my computer and phone and Google.
>
> In the past year I had moved my calendar an contact stuff from KDE
> Kontact/KorganizerKAddressbook/KMail  to Thunderbird, and used Lightning.
>  I managed to get Calendar to sync from my own ICSs, hosted on a CalDAV.  I
> was happy as a clam.  (Akonadi was so laggard that it is a deal breaker for
> KDE's stuff!!   ...  I was also living in the pre-smart phone era:  I fired
> up old SUSE 11.1 in Virtualbox and *pushed* stuff to my old phone with
> BitPim <one way only>.)
>
> N.B.  While the Thunderbird/Lightning combo works great for pulling in ICS
> Calendar, the TBird Addresbook is a relic.  There are apparently plans for
> totally recreating it, but for now it has limited fields and will
> import/export only CSV and LDIF files  ...  I even considered setting up
> LDAP on a host, as it *does* claim to be able to read in that; but it
> seemed like overkill.
>
> Ironically, it seems that Akonadi is much more capable of dealing with
> many different data sources.  (I'm not in the mood to go back to that
> though, as I want to keep open option to move main box to Debian, after
> being primarily on KDE and SUSE since 6!)
>
> I've had the S3 for about a month now.  I had hoped that there might be a
> Thunderbird/Lightning  for Android, but no luck.  Then I could just sync
> the addressbook data from the directory and carry on  ...  After all
> Android "is" linux ...  kind of, sort of ... oh well !!
>
> I have managed to get the Calendar to work (read only) via the Android
> ICalSynch2 app.  I'd like this to be read-write, but can work around by
> using Google Cal now for a "temporary" parking place for new events
> generated from S3. "Provider for Google Calendar" extension works quite
> well from Lightning to Google (and then to phone's Google account
> connection)!
>

> *The real problem is getting CONTACTS coordinated. * Forced to use
> Google, I get much flakiness between:
> 1. Google Contacts - seemingly the most reliable place to enter new
> contacts (but all the Groups can get confusing, for where it "lands")
> 2. Google Contacts extension for Thunderbird - bad problems getting to
> sync - stuff will not transfer to Google, end up existing only locally.
> 3. S3 built in Google account link also seems flaky! Stuff entered there
> takes a while to (sometimes) appear in Google contacts!
>
> *I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions.  what works for you?*
>
> What I really want is something that reliably syncs contacts from a place
> where I can securely host them, without putting so much strain on the host
> that they'd boot me.  Even a VCS file in the CalDAV or WebDAV would be just
> fine.

> [...]

-Ed Liddle

No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many
electrons were terrible inconvenienced.